The legendary Tapiola ski trails of Thunder Bay gets its name from the Finnish National Epic Kalevala where it describes the enchanted realm of Tapio, the ruler of the forests. Tapiola is featured in the works of the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.
The ski facility is operated primarily by volunteers and at present does not have change rooms nor indoor facilities. Come to Tapiola dressed, ready to ski and enjoy the trails. Please wear your trail pass button on your outer layer of clothing and spread the word on about the great hidden gem for cross country skiing in the enchanted forest of Tapiola – moderate terrain and fantastic skiing at a very affordable price.
The Tapiola operation is handled by the Finlandia Association of Thunder Bay, a not-for-profit organization. If you want to get involved with the Finlandia Association’s activities and be an active member in developing community and activities for the benefit of everyone in the city, we invite you to become a member of the Finlandia Association of Thunder Bay. Tapiola members may purchase a membership for The Finlandia Association Of Thunder Bay for the reduced rate. You will automatically become a member of the Fish and Game Club which is new to the Finlandia Association for 2019 and you will also receive $10.00 in Hoito Bucks!
How to get there?
Tapiola is a very short, about 5 minute drive up the Dawson Road past County Fair. When driving in from the City, approximately 4km from County Fair turn left to Government Road, drive approximately 1km and turn left to Pento Road. Couple of hundred meters to your left you will see the parking lot and the red storage building. All trails begin from the corner of this building.
What does it have?
- Friendly people and smiling faces, everyone is welcomed.
- A total of 3.5 km of maintained set tracks for classical skiing – a choice of 3.5km long loop, 2km loop, 1.5km loop or a 1km loop that stays lit from 7 to 9pm every day.
- Ample parking on Pento Road
- The terrain for all the trails is moderate and rolling without any large hills, perfect for family outings and workouts as intense or relaxed as you want to make them. The 1km lit loop is relatively flat.
- Concessions from the red storage building may operate on select weekends throughout the season depending on available volunteers.